Welcome to the Second Life Forums Archive

These forums are CLOSED. Please visit the new forums HERE

GOOD dance anims?

Nephilaine Protagonist
PixelSlinger
Join date: 22 Jul 2003
Posts: 1,693
08-30-2004 13:38
Hi!

I'm seeking reccomendations on well-done dance anims. I've found a few, but I want more variety!

I'm looking for good anims- no twitchyness, as little body tilt or wierd head rotations as possible, nice smooth movement and a sense of timing. a smooth loop would also be nice.

yes, i know im picky. ;)

If your work or the work of someone you know fits the bill, post back a reply- I have money in hand and am ready to shop :). I'm not looking for customs, just coords/landmark/places keyword to a location where i can pick them up :)

Thanks!!!
_____________________
Aces Spade
Raise you One♠
Join date: 22 Sep 2003
Posts: 2,774
Re: GOOD dance anims?
08-30-2004 21:08
From: someone
Originally posted by Nephilaine Protagonist
Hi!

I'm seeking reccomendations on well-done dance anims. I've found a few, but I want more variety!

I'm looking for good anims- no twitchyness, as little body tilt or wierd head rotations as possible, nice smooth movement and a sense of timing. a smooth loop would also be nice.

yes, i know im picky. ;)

If your work or the work of someone you know fits the bill, post back a reply- I have money in hand and am ready to shop :). I'm not looking for customs, just coords/landmark/places keyword to a location where i can pick them up :)

Thanks!!!



Neph,

was wondering if you ever recived my IM's?? i have a few questions for you IM me plz;) thank ya
_____________________
From: someone
Posted by ZsuZsanna Raven
So where is the "i don't give a shit'' option?
katykiwi Moonflower
Esquirette
Join date: 5 Dec 2003
Posts: 1,489
08-31-2004 13:18
The absolute best dance animation I have seen in SL is a salsa dance for couples made by Tena Keegan (forgive me if the name is incorrect but I am posting from work and cant look at the properties now...pretty sure Keegan is correct.) Everyone should see this dance. It's a smooth 5 minute couples salsa that can be used with any person without having to rezz awkward balls to hop onto, and there is a smooth transition in the loop without hesitation and jerkiness, plus the variety of dance moves is fantastic.
Gwinivere Grayson
This side up
Join date: 5 Jun 2004
Posts: 38
09-01-2004 09:16
Hmm..*sigh* you know it would be nice when creating dances in poser, (not using motion capture bought online or using motion capture equipment), if you could predict how the avatars will line up, I know some people in SL may find it awkward to use balls, but it's not easy for us that create our animations by hand. I spend sooo much money sometimes on uploads trying to line two avatars up, even using two avatars in Poser. Maybe I"m just a perfectionist when it comes to this, but I really hate seeing avatars arms far away from the other, or clipping each other, etc. I have come to understand that there is just nothing I can do about it when it comes to cuddle poses, furniture, etc. There is nothing we can do to create one pose on something like that, that everyone will fit perfectly. I think this is why i save intimate things like kissing for instance, for custom fitting. I got way off topic i know lol but katy's thread reminded me of it.
_____________________
Sensual Casanova
Spoiled Brat
Join date: 28 Feb 2004
Posts: 4,807
09-01-2004 09:27
I agree Gwin... it's a shame we dont have more control over it...I spend hours trying to make 2 avatars interact with each other, and just when I think I have got it... here comes 2 avatars that make it look totally different, it is impossible.. and the closest thing we can get to it, is by using the balls.

Salsa with no "awkward balls"? hmm I have yet to see this in game but it makes me wonder...
Was this created by an actual player of SL? or was it a premade animation uploaded into SL?How do the avatars move together with out the balls? is thier an attachment? Do the avatars actually dance together? or do they just do the same animation together and timed together?
Where can I see this salsa animation?
Is it really salsa?
Bobby Dayton
Test Pilot for Airfix
Join date: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 206
09-02-2004 04:56
I would love to see thsi animation too. I searched all over for it this morning. I have seen a hug animation that is an attachment and interacts with the other AV. Nothing is required of the other AV other than to stand there.
Ghoti Nyak
καλλιστι
Join date: 7 Aug 2004
Posts: 2,078
09-02-2004 07:38
True avatar interaction is very high on my list of desireable features. That, and cloth that acts like cloth.

-Ghoti
-Club Laura Dancer
-Artist/Graphic Designer
Owen Khan
It's all in the chin.
Join date: 30 Mar 2004
Posts: 43
09-02-2004 09:38
Well it's not true interaction. Tena actually sells a device that allow two people to sync their dancing when using the Salsa Real move, which I made.

Originally, this dance is a raw optical data capture file (not a BVH) used for a research project. It required 10 hours of work and three different softwares to fit the data on a simplified skeleton, clean it (raw data is full of spikes), smooth it (especially the arm & head movements), get it to loop seamlessly by combining it with a short segment of another raw data file, export it in a first bvh version, and then, making the final edits and tweaks in Poser before uploading it to Second Life.
_____________________
Owen Khan
Francis Chung
This sentence no verb.
Join date: 22 Sep 2003
Posts: 918
09-03-2004 09:57
From: someone
Originally posted by Gwinivere Grayson
...., if you could predict how the avatars will line up, I know some people in SL may find it awkward to use balls, but it's not easy for us that create our animations by hand. I spend sooo much money sometimes on uploads trying to line two avatars up, even using two avatars in Poser.


Wholly agree. I don't understand why we can't get a better preview of our animations even. (We have a "play locally" button already.)

An avatar interacting with anything else is hard. I made some anims for a motorbike recently, and spent L$1500 on re-uploads/tweaking. I've seen Gwin do a violin-playing animation. I cant imagine how much she spent. This is ridiculous.

Also, and export avatar->poser functionality would be nice.

Owen - that's very interesting. Can you elaborate on how the capture was made/what project it was for?
_____________________
--
~If you lived here, you would be home by now~
Tipsy Titan
Lagged into Submission
Join date: 7 Aug 2003
Posts: 231
09-09-2004 15:12
Tink buttercup has some booty shaking sexy dance anims all made by hand.. they are pretty darn good for somthing not mocap'd or bought.
_____________________
Briana Dawson
Attach to Mouth
Join date: 23 Sep 2003
Posts: 5,855
09-09-2004 18:52
From: someone
Originally posted by Owen Khan
Well it's not true interaction. Tena actually sells a device that allow two people to sync their dancing when using the Salsa Real move, which I made.

Originally, this dance is a raw optical data capture file (not a BVH) used for a research project. It required 10 hours of work and three different softwares to fit the data on a simplified skeleton, clean it (raw data is full of spikes), smooth it (especially the arm & head movements), get it to loop seamlessly by combining it with a short segment of another raw data file, export it in a first bvh version, and then, making the final edits and tweaks in Poser before uploading it to Second Life.


Owen is King of Swiss Chocolates and Anims.

Briana Dawson
_____________________
WooT
------------------------------

http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/
Lash Xevious
Gooberly
Join date: 8 May 2004
Posts: 1,348
09-10-2004 12:45
I spend a butt load of money on animations. I love the cuddle chairs, various poses, and the dances. On dancing, i just recently purchased Gwinivere's Reverie dances and some dance packs from Owen's store. I appreciate hand made dances and motion capture alike. The hard work and perfectionism is fully noted and appreciated. :D
_____________________
Mickey Valentino
Disciple of the Watch
Join date: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 230
09-11-2004 07:33
From: someone
Originally posted by Owen Khan
Well it's not true interaction. Tena actually sells a device that allow two people to sync their dancing when using the Salsa Real move, which I made.

Originally, this dance is a raw optical data capture file (not a BVH) used for a research project. It required 10 hours of work and three different softwares to fit the data on a simplified skeleton, clean it (raw data is full of spikes), smooth it (especially the arm & head movements), get it to loop seamlessly by combining it with a short segment of another raw data file, export it in a first bvh version, and then, making the final edits and tweaks in Poser before uploading it to Second Life.


I suddenly don't feel so bad going broke buying your dance animations Owen. :)
_____________________
I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief
--Gerry Spence

These are very sad times to be an American but where is the rage among the citizenry? Where are the flag wavers who so laud the freedoms symbolized by a flag and written by quill pens in our constitution? Why are we not rallying in the streets against this sort of attrocity? Why because we are gluttonous lazy bastards who say it won't happen to me so who cares. --Ishtar Pasteur